Saturday 9 October 2010

Sitting in My Office

Sitting in My Office,

Well, not Mine, obviously,

I'm just a Caretaker,

of a Lecturer's room,

(Prefer the term Steward

More dignified, really)

Earning my meager keep.


Turn on the PC,

Listen to songs on Youtube,

While typing translation works,

I look around,

At the many books on the shelves, arranged

And the ones not arranged on the table,

And the many letters and messages yet collected.


Looked up,

At the small hole above me,

Where a black mouse could be seen,

Peering below,

Sniffing,

At the leftovers of chicken rice,

and grape juice

The dumbbells at the foot of the table,

Good decoration,

But no practical purpose to me.


I look outside,

Dark clouds,

Branches swaying left with the wind,

And I'm thinking,

"And to think I chose,

to wash my clothes today!"

But I have been wrong before.

*Feel like writing this after listening to "Goodbye, Alice in Wonderland". Apparently, Jewel Kilcher is the most amazing poet-singer right now.

2 comments:

  1. She just got a new album out, hein? Pretty long music hiatus she took after acting in Cold Mountain. I don't quite dig her style myself, I'm more a Neko Case kinda gal. That woman ... amazing.

    If you're looking for harmonies and humour, look up Da Vinci's Notebook. Cute and psychedelic; try out The Bird and The Bee or She and Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neko Case, huh? I guess I'll go check this cat out, then. Pun intended ;)

    ReplyDelete