Thursday 2 February 2012

Writing A Literature Review

I knew this dreaded day had come,

Well, dread to me, (might not be to some),

Postponed before, but now I have to do,

The writing of the Lit Review

----------

Since my proposal had been admitted,

I thought I would be done with it, but

My supervisor, who might've said it with glee,

Would so emphatically disagree.

----------

My supervisor said to me,

'You are not done with it, you see,

There's the objective, and scope, and Lit Review,

And good ol' methodology too.'

----------

'Let's focus on the Lit Review,

Just to see if you actually have a clue,

Now look and read about one or two...

You know what? About twenty books would do.'

----------

So in the Main Library I roam,

And poured over many a book and tome,

With the optimism of someone who's never viewed

A Clockwork Orange (that film was totally screwed)

----------

But the books in our Main Library,

Are woefully behind the times, quite sadly,

I then realised, letting out a groan,

That I had to do inter-library loan.

----------

This loan thing is so leceh to me,

Though I know it is necessary,

So I did what I had to do,

And hopefully I'll be done with this Lit Review.

----------

But this writing was easier said than done,

As I see the red marks all over Draft Number One,

'You don't understand the meaning, or gist,

You must give proper "analysis."'

----------

And off to the How-To books I site,

To find out how to properly write,

And prepared Drafts Two, Three, Four, and Five,

And Six, and ...Ten (wait, where was I?)

----------

But finally it's worth the weeks much-spent,

My supervisor finally relents,

'I'm tired of proof-reading, I'll accept this work here,

'Still have to review this part after two years.'

----------

So now, I, though still can't quite believe,

I'm actually quite relieved,

But please don't spoil this short-lived fun,

By reminding me it's only Chapter One.

----------

End.

p/s well, technically, it's not Chapter One. It's just the Proposal Chapter. Chapter One is on the Background of Research Topic.


pp/s My Masters supervisor is really a nice guy, unlike the one referred to in the poem. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment