Wednesday 4 November 2009

Talent

'Fikri, I think you have a talent and a gift.' Talent.

It is a horrendous term, and personally, I find it to be most disturbing. Seriously. I cannot understand how people could use that word in a most nonchalant manner when referring to one's achievements or efforts, without actually understanding the implication and meaning of talent.
Of all words and concepts I find unbelievable (among other things, the existence of mythical beasts, 'better-than-Kurosawa' epic films and honest lawyers), I find talent to be at the top of that list. Why so?

Firstly, it implies laziness. the very idea that one can excel at something without even trying hard or putting any effort into it is disturbing to say the least. I have always been taught my entire life that when one works hard for something, rewards shall come to him. One does not sit around and laze and expect manna and quail to descend from heaven for him and only rely on 'talent'.

I learnt this the hard way from joining debates. As disappointing as not being given the opportunity (which, unlike talent, is a legitimate idea and term) to compete in Worlds in my first year (still disappointed, as that chance may never come again), I do realise that the selection for debaters was done through observation of efforts put in and result of said efforts. And so I stayed on, and worked harder to prove to people that I am worthy of recognition and the opportunity. But the main idea is always
effort. To proclaim that I got to where I am today based on the idea that I am just good at something is an insult to my efforts and hard work, and to those who observe and reward the hard work.

Secondly, it is a remnant of an elitist past, one which has no place in a democratic society today. Prior to the 20th century, people were holding on to ideas such as divine rights of kings, aristocracy, nobility, and the caste system. The first half of the 20th century was plagued by Hitler's Aryan
Herrenvolk ('Master Race') belief. Basically, the idea that one's superiority and inferiority is already determined from the moment of birth by God , and is carried around like a cross through the Passion stations until death.

Talent is an extension of this way of thinking. It negates the democratic ideal that one can prove oneself in any field provided that opportunity is given, and he works hard to achieve his goal. Talent means one only needs to snap his fingers effortlessly, and people will be impressed with him, enough for him to leapfrog others who have worked harder and put in more effort.


Which is why my favourite characters in Japanese anime are always those on the side of effort rather than talent (Rock Lee is better than any other character in
Naruto, Sasuke is nothing without his Sharingan).

I have always believed in this principle: one is successful because of his efforts, not because of his talent. I hope others do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment